Wednesday 28 March 2012

My life and changes during the Japanese Occupation

Entry 1
 Life was peaceful, tranquil and still, people were healthy and seldom ill. Now, it seems that life has lost its meaning, life is a struggle, bitter and hard. We are living in poverty and starvation, food and money is so hard to come by. How much more do my family and I have to suffer? I have to live in pain and anguish till the day I die. The prices of basic necessities have increased drastically due to hyperinflation. So many mouths to feed, yet so little to eat, many people are experiencing hunger and starvation. Essential foodstuffs like rice, salt and sugar are being controlled. We are given ration cards which limits the amount of food each person was given. The price of rice has increased from $5 per 100 catties to $5000. The Japanese issued ration cards to limit the amount of resources received by the civilian population. Before, adults and children could buy 4.8kg and 2.4kg of rice per month respectively. As the war progresses, the amount of rice for adults is starting to reduce by 25%.
 
Last month, I went to get milk powder for my new-born child. The shopkeeper told me in a gruff voice that he had none. I handed him some money but he just shook his head and turned away. Today, I went back to the man with twice the amount of money I had brought last time. He gave a contented smile and said, ”Come back in three days time, after I have gotten it from the ‘black-market’.”

Entry 2
 The Japanese encouraged us to grow more food. My 10-year old daughter used to fill me in on the types of vegetable plots she had to look after every day. However, the food shortage did not affect the Japanese. They had the best of everything – rice, sugar, meat, fish, whisky and cigarettes.

The Japanese started to issue money but the situation did not change for the better, instead, it was worsened. These were called "banana notes" as many of them had pictures of banana trees or other fruit on them. The money was printed on poor quality paper and had no serial number. Whenever the authorities needed more money, they printed more notes. As a result, there were a lot of banana notes and their value dropped. The money was worth pittance that the phrase "banana money" came to mean useless money. Some people even went shopping with bags of banana notes!



Entry 3
 I remember the day when our colonial rulers and soldiers were captured and brought to the prison by the Japanese. I was momentarily stunned when my neighbours informed me that the Japanese could now set about establishing their authority. We were previously told that the Japanese had come to set us free from British rule. However, we realised that we were not freed. Instead, we had a change of government. What rights do they have to switch our government? Why do we have to live in fear under the noses of these inhumane Japanese rulers?
 
As the Chinese in Singapore had helped China when it was under attack against Japan, they suffered the most. My husband had to report to registration camps for screening, including all other Chinese males aged between 18 to 50. Those who were singled out by informers or were teachers, journalists, intellectuals, were alleged to be Anti-Japanese. They were arrested by the Japanese military police and were not allowed to go home. Majority was killed and those who survived were treated terribly in imprisonment.

When my husband was called to go, I was overcome with emotions – lost, terrified, helpless. Yet, I knew that there was nothing we could do to change the situation. I could only hope for the best.

Minutes seemed like hours, days seemed liked months. Eventually, I heard the unique 3 knocks on the door.

Fortunately, my husband came back safe and sound, without any signs of injuries. He had been given a small piece of paper with the word “Examined” stamped on it. He explained to me that it was an important pass which allowed them to avoid further questioning of the Japanese. Some of his friends even had it stamped on their shirts or arms.

Not many of the Chinese males were as lucky as my husband. Thousands were identified as Anti-Japanese and were brought to beaches on the east coast via lorries. There was no news about them and they never returned afterwards.

How could I live without my husband? What would life be like, I can never imagine. The Japanese Occupation, which brings so much anguish and misery to people, is a torture, is inhumane. When would this end? I cannot take it any longer, life is meaningless. Meaningless.

Word count: 789

Michelle Lee (13)
Leong Pui Mun (14)
Shanice Lim (15)
Samantha Rabino (16)

Acknowledgements:

No comments:

Post a Comment